Incidents & Accidents

Wednesday, January 16

You call that proper accident etiquette?

  While driving her 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV west along Lincoln Ave. that morning, a Saugus woman reported that she was rear-ended by a blue 2002 Mazda Protégé at the Central St. intersection. Both vehicles pulled over, but after the operator of the Mazda went back to retrieve his vehicle information he decided to leave in the direction of Cliftondale Center. But it was all for naught as the accident victim was able to note the license plate of the fleeing vehicle for police—so much for a hasty retreat to obscurity.


Must have gone to the same driving school as the Mazda driver

  Another incident of alleged hit-stop-then-run was reported. A woman, claiming to have been struck from behind in her Nissan Armada by a male driver in a Jeep Patriot at a traffic light, reported to police that after the two vehicles pulled over to exchange information at the Cedar Glen Golf Course, the driver of the Jeep jumped back into his vehicle and fled the scene. Same outcome: She noted the license plate and reported it to the police.



What’s the age limit for acid reflux?

  Saugus emergency crews responded to 39 Ballard St. about a report of a baby girl choking. According to the report, firefighters found an eight-week-old baby girl whose mother reported that the child might have acid reflux due to spitting up and choking. At one point the mother stated that the baby might have stopped breathing. Thankfully, firefighters reported that the baby appeared to be fine.


Thursday, January 17

There might be a connection here—just my guess

  A Newhall Ave. woman walked into police HQ to report that her blue Toyota Camry was struck in front of her home on Sept. 1, 2012, sustaining heavy driver’s side damage. The woman had no idea who struck the vehicle. Later in the day, the same woman walked into police HQ to report that someone struck her rental vehicle—a grey Volkswagen Jetta, which was parked in front of her home. It was struck sometime between 9:00 p.m. on Jan. 16 and 1:00 p.m. on Jan. 17. According to the report, the vehicle suffered damage to the driver’s side rear quarter panel and a missing passenger’s side front hubcap. Again, the woman stated that she had no idea who caused the damage—no vehicle or suspect information could be provided.


When red dye clashes with black—but in a very bad way

  An emergency caller from East Boston Savings Bank on Main St. reported that a white male, approx. 5’ 9”, with a scruffy beard and wearing a black knit hat, black Champion jacket, black pants, and black sneakers, passed a note to a teller demanding money, although no weapon was shown. According to the report, an Oaklandvale Ave. resident reported money covered in red dye all over the road. A resident from Lynn Fells Parkway reported that a suspicious male was knocking at his door but did not answer. The unidentified man then left in a white Subaru wagon; a partial license plate was taken by a witness. State police were then able to match the plate to a vehicle from Melrose. State, Saugus and Melrose police arrived at the address and discovered that someone had borrowed the vehicle for the day, according to its owner. Detectives followed-up and charged Robert Loren Matthis of Revere with accessory after the fact/bank robbery.


Friday, January 18

AAA even has stolen vehicle recovery parking—sorry, wrong AAA

  An employee from AAA Travel on Broadway reported an orange 2009 Honda Fit parked in their parking lot for three days. Dispatched officers discovered that the vehicle had been reported stolen from Beverly. The vehicle was towed and Beverly PD was notified.


That’s one tough mailman—even the dogs are scared!

A Saugus police officer working a detail at the intersection of Staaf Rd. and Grove St. observed a mail carrier being struck by a vehicle as he was crossing a driveway. According to the report, the officer observed the mailman being struck in the head by a white Chevrolet Traverse and thrown a considerable distance. Emergency crews arrived on the scene and found the male postal employee with a small cut on his lip and a bump on his forehead. The victim reported to medical personnel that he never lost consciousness and remembered the entire incident, although he did report a little head pain. The victim was taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital for treatment.


Saturday, January 19

Luckily, the dog could vouch for him

A Cleveland Ave. resident called police to report that he was locked out of his home and requested assistance from the fire department. Unfortunately for the man, there wasn’t an unlocked window to be found, which left the cold homeowner with some tough decisions: break a window or slightly damage a door frame. Choosing the latter, the man was able to gain entry into his house. When the door was opened, police asked the man for some identification, which he was unable to provide. Fortunately for the man, the dog in the house and the keys on the table were located where the man said they would be.


Sunday, January 20

The misunderstanding was that fans of the winning team pay

  State Police reported a walk-out of a $200 food bill at Buffalo Wild Wings on Main St. The customers, three white males, one reportedly wearing a Baltimore Ravens football jersey under his coat, were last seen leaving on foot. Dispatched officers located the male parties at the Red Roof Inn. According to the report, the officer stated that there was a misunderstanding about payment of the bill, so the officer transported the man, presumably the Ravens fan, back to the establishment to pay the bill. Go ‘Niners!


Monday, January 21

If you ask me, it’s the dog vomit

  A Harrison Ave. resident alerted emergency crews about 1) her gas burner, which had allegedly been banging for weeks; 2) there was soot on her television; 3) she feels light-headed and there was a strong odor emanating from inside the house; and 4) that her dog was vomiting. She also stated that she should get out of the house if it was unsafe, but due to a medical condition, she could not. The woman was advised to open some windows until help arrived. Firefighters arrived and could not find any elevated carbon monoxide levels or an odor, soot on her TV, or dog vomit. Following further discussion, police discovered that it was an ongoing landlord/tenant dispute. (I still blame the dog vomit.)

Leave a Reply